What's Really In Your Wine?

Sponsored
Created with The Divining Rod

This Curiosity article has been sponsored by The Divining Rod.

NEWS: The Curiosity Podcast is out! Subscribe on iTunes, Google Play Music, Stitcher, SoundCloud and add the RSS feed to any podcast player. If you love it please consider leaving us a review.

Wines are typically named after the grapes they're made from: names like Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir are grape varietals. But even though most wines only bear the name of one grape, there are multiple varietals in the bottle! American labeling laws dictate that a wine can be listed as a single varietal if at least 75% of it consists of that varietal. The remaining 25% could be anything at all. But don't fret just because you're probably drinking a blend--Wine Spectator notes that including multiple grapes in a wine could make it more complex, lending it a smell or flavor it wouldn't have had otherwise.

Share the knowledge!

Key Facts In This Video

  1. Pinot noir grapes have relatively thin skins, which is why the wine has a lighter color and flavor. 00:46

  2. Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are distantly related grapes that can have similar aromas when grown in cold climates. 01:29

  3. Syrah wine is often labeled as Sheraz, which indicates that the grapes were grown in the southern hemisphere. 03:10

If you liked this you'll love our podcast! Check it out on iTunesGoogle Play MusicStitcherSoundCloud, search 'curiosity' on your favorite podcast app or add the RSS Feed URL.