Death

The Tiny Blue-Ringed Octopus Could Easily Kill You

Excited for the August 21 eclipse? Visit our Eclipse 2017 page to explore the science, history, and myths of the event. The Curiosity team will be viewing the eclipse alongside NASA in Carbondale, Illinois. Follow us on Facebook for live videos, trivia, and interviews on the big day.

Victims often don't even feel it when they've been bitten by a blue-ringed octopus. These tiny cephalopods are only the size of a golf ball, but the amount of venom they carry is enough to kill 26 human adults. The key toxin in the mix is tetrodotoxin, which paralyzes the victim's muscles, including their diaphragm. Once bitten, they have to be connected to a ventilator so that they can breathe. There is no known antivenom to treat the bite, meaning that those afflicted must wait for around 15 hours as the toxin wears off.

Share the knowledge!

Key Facts In This Video

  1. A bite from the Inland Taipan could kill you within 45 minutes. 00:40

  2. Stings from the box jellyfish are so painful that victims have gone into shock and drowned after being stung. 02:20

  3. There is no antivenom that will counteract the effects of a blue-ringed octopus bite; victims must receive life-saving care until the toxin wears off. 04:13

If you liked this you'll love our podcast! Check it out on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, SoundCloud, search 'curiosity' on your favorite podcast app or add the RSS Feed URL.

Advertisement