Health

The Death Cap Mushroom Is Delicious But Deadly

Excited for the August 21 eclipse? Visit our Eclipse 2017 page to explore the science, history, and myths of the event. The Curiosity team will be viewing the eclipse alongside NASA in Carbondale, Illinois. Follow us on Facebook for live videos, trivia, and interviews on the big day.

Foragers beware, there is a delicious mushroom you need to avoid. The death cap mushroom, though very tasty, has "death" in its name for a reason. The mushroom starts killing you before you even know it's happening, and just one mushroom cap is enough to kill a human being.

Symptoms, including severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting, begin presenting themselves about six to 12 hours after ingesting the mushrooms. These side effects are due to a toxin in the poisonous mushroom slowly injecting itself into the liver cells. In extreme cases, a liver transplant is the only hope a patient has at surviving. The death cap mushroom can be found all over the state of California, and can easily be confused for edible mushrooms. Watch the video below for more on this dangerous fungus.

The Mushroom That Starts Killing You Before You Notice

Beware the death cap.

Don't Eat The Death Cap Mushroom

It's called "death cap" for a reason.

If you liked this you'll love our podcast! Check it out on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, SoundCloud, search 'curiosity' on your favorite podcast app or add the RSS Feed URL.

Advertisement