Puffer Fish Can Kill You
The puffer fish is considered the second most poisonous vertebrate on Earth. This fish, as well as any creature of the family of tetraodontidae, protects itself by gulping water to expand its belly, making it look larger and more intimidating.
Check Out This Month's Most Popular Topic
from The Science Majors Science Channel
Key Facts In This Video
Puffer fish are known as fugu in Japan and are considered a rare delicacy to eat. (0:07)
Symptoms of tetrodotoxin poisoning include numbness of the mouth, salivation, nausea, vomiting, paralysis, and even death. (0:57)
Not all puffer fish are safe to eat—some of these fish have dangerous toxin throughout their bodies. (1:44)