Hiking is an easy activity to pick up: Just lace up your shoes and find a trail. For beginners, there really isn't any essential gear that you don't already have, no special skills to pick up, and no complex rulebook to read. All that is what makes it so great: Everyone can join in! But while there may not be any specific regulations, there are a handful of best practices that are important for new hikers to know, both for their own safety and to simply be courteous. Here are some of the biggest mistakes new hikers make.
7 of the Biggest Mistakes New Hikers Make
Related Video: Tips for Hiking with Your Dog
1. Not stepping aside for the uphill hiker.
2. Not letting faster hikers pass.
3. Wearing too much cotton.
4. Not bringing enough water.
5. Building unnecessary cairns.
6. Postholing in the winter.
7. Playing music aloud on the trail.
Written by Ryan Wichelns September 21, 2018