With each lap Earth takes around the sun, a whole lot happens down here on the surface of our planet. The year 2017 was no exception. For science, this year brought discoveries and breakthroughs in everything from cancer and CRISPR to spiky dinosaurs and a lamb grown in a bag. Here are our top picks for the 10 biggest moments in science in 2017:
1. Scientists successfully grew a lamb in an artificial womb.
2. NASA discovered a record number of Earth-sized planets around a dwarf star called TRAPPIST-1.
3. We spotted an interstellar visitor to our solar system for the first time.
4. Cassini took a finale dive into Saturn.
5. CRISPR was used on human embryos for the first time.
6. Scientists saw the head-on collision of neutron stars.
7. Cancer-fighting CAR-T cell therapy treatments became the first gene therapies ever approved by the FDA.
8. We discovered that humans are older than we thought.
9. Scientists uncovered a few incredibly well-preserved dinosaurs.
10. SpaceX successfully flew the first-ever reused rocket.
Written by Joanie Faletto December 27, 2017
Wake up with the smartest email in your inbox.
Our Best Articles Daily